bookishames

Bookish Ames

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~~Louisa May Alcott

The Darkest Hour - Maya Banks On the one year anniversary of his wife Rachel's death, Ethan receives a mysterious package in the mail claiming that she is alive. After existing like a zombie for the past year, Ethan is suddenly hopeful and full of life. He goes to his brothers who run the KGI Group to ask for help bringing Rachel home. This is good news for Ethan's brothers. Sam and Garrett have wanted Ethan to join their elite group of warriors for a while now and there's no time like the present. And they also have missed Rachel and will do anything to bring her home.When Rachel is found though, news is not good. She's been held captive through drugging - looks like heroine and cocaine. The effects of the stress of her being held prisoner and the drugs have resulted in Rachel having memory loss. (*note* I hate amnesia stories too, but Maya-love overthrows all!) While in captivity, Rachel held onto two thoughts in her mind - that her name was Rachel and the face of a man - her "angel." Imagine Rachel's shock when she's rescued by the man she always feared was just a dream.

The Darkest Hour is the story of Ethan and Rachel reconnecting after a year apart and Rachel's memory loss. Also there's the fact that before Rachel died, Ethan did something that he really regrets and even though he knows he should tell her, he can't bring himself to do it. He's afraid that it'll destroy Rachel and he doesn't want to ruin his second chance with her. Rachel fears that she is going crazy and the slow return of her memories is another stressor to her recovery.

I really enjoyed The Darkest Hour. The memory loss aspect to this story did not get on my nerves at all. Ethan and Rachel's emotions seemed realistic (to me anyway, never having been held captive and drugged for a year) and Rachel didn't annoy me with her angst over her situation. She can't recall her life before her captivity and finds everything a bit overwhelming.The relationship between the brothers was good, too. There's Ethan, Sam, Garrett, Joe and Nathan. Also in the Kelly family are their parents and a rescued runaway, Rusty. I liked how this family related to each other.

The men are alpha but the women are not weak. Yay. The Darkest Hour gets a 4.25 out of 5 from me.