bookishames

Bookish Ames

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~~Louisa May Alcott

So Much Closer - Susane Colasanti I have to be honest, I was hesitant to read this book. Why? This will have been the 3rd book in a short period of time where the heroine comes across as a bit obsessive. Is this the new trend of the moment? Because I don't like it. Obsessed with boys, obsessed with an older sister, whatever they're obsessed it, it makes them seem a touch psychotic and unbalanced.

Thankfully, Brooke wasn't obsessed so much that she crossed over that psychotic line. LOL Yeah she had a crush on a boy and worked things her way so she could move to be closer to him. Kudos girl, taking control of your life. But she didn't seem so crazy desperate that it turned me off. She kind of closed herself off from making new friends to remain true to the friends she left behind, but some people still broke through her shell. I liked that more than anything - that she made friends despite herself. It was also a bit bittersweet on the other hand when her old friends back in Jersey moved on in her absence. Boys will come and go, but your friends are what really matter. And it hurts when your friends move on.

I was also afraid that Brooke was going to be the biggest brat towards her father. Again, I was wrong. LOL I was wrong about so many things with this book! So I think the blurb does this book a bit of a disservice, because if you're sick of seemingly psychotic heroines as much as me, there's no way you'd want to read this.

But it's about more than a girl going after a boy she likes, it's about making new friends and finding beauty in places you'd never think to look.