bookishames

Bookish Ames

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~~Louisa May Alcott

Rampant - Diana Peterfreund Everything about this book worked for me. I mean, who doesn't like unicorns? But the unicorns in Peterfreund's world are vicious monsters - and after 150 years of being thought extinct, these dangerous creatures are slowly emerging from hiding.

Astrid grew up listening to the tales her mother told her, of unicorns and unicorn hunters and she always thought her mom was crazy. But one night while babysitting and making out with her boyfriend, a small unicorn attacks Astrid's boyfriend. Astrid is beyond flabbergasted and before she can blink, her mom has her shipped to Rome to become a unicorn hunter. Except the hunting school has kind of fallen to ruin and the man in charge of it kind of doesn't know what he's doing.
With the re-emergence of unicorns, a few other girls show up at the school. And what made this book so good for me was that they educate themselves. They work together to train and rely upon each other. And strong characters like that are ones I enjoy.

I also enjoyed the unicorns. Yeah, if you weren't a virgin they'd try to tear your face off, but Astrid had a cute little lap-unicorn that I liked. Rampant goes into unicorn lore in a way that was truly interesting.

There's an interesting plot afoot in this book as well. The unicorns seem to be working together in their attacks, something that is not supposed to happen. So who is the hidden foe organizing them? And let me tell you - one of the characters falls victim to this foe's plot and that part broke my heart. But again, even though something bad happened, the characters rallied together. More than anything, this was a good book about girl power. LOL Yes, I meant that to be corny. But it's about putting aside your differences and working for the greater good. In this case, it's taking on some seriously deranged unicorns. Fun times! So if you're in the mood for something along the lines of fantasy, with some seriously kick-ass teenage heroines, I'd say pick up Rampant. You won't be disappointed.