bookishames

Bookish Ames

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~~Louisa May Alcott

Something About You - Julie James Ok, when I first read the blurb, I was kind of hesitant. Something about it just didn’t appeal to me. But then I remembered I felt that way about Practice Makes Perfect and I loved that book so I should just trust Julie because she hasn’t done wrong yet. And I’m so glad I listened to myself because like I said, this one is a winner.

First some back story. Three years ago, Jack Pallas, FBI guy extraordinaire, was transferred out of state as punishment for some really bad things he said about Cameron Lynde, Assistant District Attorney, on national television. He was seriously pissed off at her kind of throwing 2 years worth of his work out the window. (All I’m going to say here is that things are not what they seemed to Jack.)

Flashforward to current day and Jack is back in Chicago. And the very first case he lands has Cameron Lynde as an ear-witness (you read that right) to the murder of a Senator’s call girl. Right after the Senator availed himself of her services. Jack is less than impressed with this turn of events. And at first he keeps his distance. But his partner, Wilkins (whom I LOVED), and the two cops guarding Cameron make it impossible for him to remain aloof. Because before the shit hit the fan three years ago, Jack was definitely feeling something for Cameron. And he’s realizing that he may think he hates her, but not really. And same goes for Cameron. And so their initial meet ups were sarcastic and meant to annoy the other turn into teasing and witty banter.

Which Julie James does so well! That antagonistic dialogue at first, I really get a kick out of that. When Cameron and Jack try to beat the other. It really creates some delicious sexual tension. And bonus? Julie has included sex scenes in this book! LOL It may not seem like that big a deal, but it was something that was missing from her first two books. As much as I enjoyed them, I felt cheated a bit when the bedroom door would close. And these scenes aren’t just for the sake of having sex in the book either. Jack and Cameron have some great emotional stuff going on and it’s great to be privy to those emotions.

And the characters! I love Cameron and Jack. Cameron is the kind of heroine I love. She’s smart, she holds her own, she’s not afraid of her sexuality and she’s a well-rounded out individual. And Jack. Jack was pure deliciousness! He’s FBI, so you know he’s built. He’s smart too. And omg, he had the perfect amount of jealousy in regards to Cameron. I think a little bit of possessiveness and jealousy is hot in my books. But ONLY if the heroine can handle it. And Cameron sees it for what it is.

Ok, I wanted to include this snippet because it deals with what I just mentioned. Cameron has a best friend named Collin. Jack knows they’re just friends but...
"I hope you're not looking to me for answers about this Internet thing," she told him. "If there's a problem, I turn the computer off and then on again. If that doesn't fix it, I call Collin."

Jack folded his arms across his chest. "I think we need to talk about this Collin dependency. Because there's a new sheriff in town."

"Hmm. That's a little alpha for my tastes," Cameron said with a disapproving air.

She tried not to look totally turned on.

See, totally hot! LOL

All right, I think I’ll stop before I reduce myself to fangirl squeeing. LOL Something About You was fun and flirty and sexy and all kinds of good stuff. It gets 5 stars from me.