bookishames

Bookish Ames

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~~Louisa May Alcott

After Hours: (InterMix) - Cara McKenna Erin Coffey is an LPN who’s only patient so far was her elderly grandmother. Now that her grandmother has passed, Erin needs a job that’s close to her sister and nephew. That job is at Larkhaven, a psychiatric hospital. On her first day, Erin meets Kelly, whom she mistakes as a patient at first. He’s a big bruiser of a man with scars and a buzz cut. But Kelly is an orderly. With his size, he’s able to help the doctors and nurses with the more recalcitrant patients. Erin is intrigued by him but she sees in him the kind of guys her sister and mother would fall for – not good.

But the more Erin gets to know him, the more she wants him. Even thinking he wouldn’t be good for her, she is tempted. And Kelly would tempt anyone. He’s a big guy who tells it like it is but he doesn’t do it in a cruel way. I’m not going to say he’s sensitive, but he has a good grasp on situations, which is a good thing in his line of work. And he wants Erin, and he lets her know it, in explicit terms. At first Erin is turned off by his straightforward attitude, but when he tells her he wants to screw her nine ways to Sunday and do it his way, Erin eventually gives in. She is tired of the burdens she carries (she rescues her sister frequently from a douchebag ex) and she just wants to not worry about things for a while and be selfish. And Kelly gives her that. In a good way.

But Erin isn’t done making assumptions about Kelly, despite everything that goes on between them.

I liked Erin and Kelly’s story. Erin was an interesting character – she was very guarded and a bit cynical. She saw the kind of guys her sister and mother went through and she doesn’t want that. She sees Kelly like that at first but yes, she starts to let him in a little bit and it scares her. I wasn’t annoyed though or felt that she held onto her misconceptions too long.

And Kelly. Whew! He’s that alpha guy who pushes you out of your comfort zone just enough to make things interesting and he’s sexy as hell. I liked his style. He was very upfront about his desires but he wasn’t inflexible. I thought the sex between these two was scorching and it wasn’t gratuitous at all.

If you’re looking for a super hot but sweet romance, I recommend After Hours.